Pages

Friday 22 December 2017

Acknowledging Ancestry SLJ - Week 1 day 3 Activity 2



Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have
large families and some of us have very small families.
When I have the opportunity to talk about my family
and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It
is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from.
There are many different versions of pepeha but most
provide people with information about who you are and
where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template
provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha.
If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.


Ko Mt wellington te maunga The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko Tamaki river te awa   The river that I affiliate to
ko Tonga tōku iwi     My tribe is…
Ko Samoa  tōku hapu My sub-tribe is…
Ko  tōku marae (Private Information) My marae is…
Ko New zealand ahau I am from…
Ko Viena rāua ko Fui ōku mātua   My parents are … and …


Ko Mason tōku ingoa. My name is


MY PEPEHA
Ko Gatineau te maunga.
Ko Mississippi te awa.
Ko James Telford Stirling tōku tīpuna.
Ko Williamson-Stirling tōku iwi.
Ko Williamson tōku hapū.
Ko Almonte tōku marae.
Ko Almonte, Canada ahau.
Ko Leslie rāua, ko Ron oku mātua.
Ko Rachel tōku ingoa.

When you have completed your pepeha,
post it on your blog. You could even post a video of
you reading out your pepeha.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mason,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to see that you've been working on these activities. Well done!

    Good work on your pepeha. It looks like you may have written it out before?

    I think it's important to know our pepeha. It allows us to acknowledge our ancestors and it also helps us to understand who we are a bit better. We should know where we come from!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over the summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.