Pages

Saturday 5 January 2019

SLJ-Week 2 Day 2 Activity 1

DAY 2: Fabulous Flora

Activity 1:Weaving a Tall Tale…[4 points]
 
There is a long history in New Zealand of collecting natural plants,
including flax (harakeke), and using them to create cloaks, baskets
(kete), mats, traps and ropes. Flax weaving is an art form. It can take
years for people to perfect the art of weaving. Have you ever tried it?
For this activity, you are asked to watch a short video of someone
weaving a fish (ika) out of flax.
On your blog, tell us whether or not you would like to try flax
weaving. Does it interest you? Why or why not?

I would love to try flaxing because it look’s and sounds awesome.
I have tried flaxing at school and I have made a bracelet it was
hard but I succeeded. Anyways I what to try flaxing because I can
make cool things with like baskets and other sorts of cool things
but the main reason why is because it is easy to learn and im kind
of lazy learning the same thing over and over again so that is why
I want to try flaxing.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Mason,

    It's great to hear that you have tried flax weaving and would like to do it again! Weaving definitely takes a lot of time, patience and practice but it can be a very rewarding experience.

    I didn't know that you could make bracelets from flax, that's quite creative! What other things have you made or would like to make if you have the opportunity to? I've seen some really cool images of flax woven fantail birds and grasshoppers! They look like they would be really tricky to learn but so worth it.

    Keep up the wonderful work,
    Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.